Type of project: MSc Thesis/internship
Starting date: September 2023. Later starting time is possible
Duration: 6 – 12 months
Location: Wetsus Research Institute, Leeuwarden, the Netherlands
There are a few possibilities for allowances:
– The allowance for students is €200. The student can apply for ‘Wetsus Grant’ allowance (€200 extra; an internal committee decides if the allowance will be granted).
– Students can apply for Erasmus; (if the Erasmus grant is less than €400, the student can apply for the Wetsus Grant).
*The Wetsus Grant allowance is not guaranteed and must be approved by the Grant Committee.
Do you want to know more about a new wastewater treatment technology? Are you interested to work on a new method to valorize sludge?
NEREDA® Technology is an innovative biological wastewater treatment process based on granular sludge. Currently, the process is optimized for phosphorus removal through anaerobic/aerobic alternation, but it is desired that wastewater treatment processes in the future recover that phosphorus.
NEREDA® waste sludge offers the opportunity for recovery of a new bio-based raw material extracted from the extracellular polymeric substances with the commercial name of Kaumera NEREDA® Gum (Fig 2). Kaumera is a gel-forming polyelectrolyte that can be used in wide industrial applications. Combining phosphorus and Kaumera recovery is to be studied through this project.
• Perform Kaumera extractions from granular sludge on the lab scale
• Study phosphorus speciation in EPS using different analytical methods
• Study phosphorus effect on EPS properties
• An MSc student with a biotechnology, analytical chemistry, and chemical or bioprocess engineering background.
• A student highly motivated, enthusiastic, proactive, and willing to learn.
• Enrollment at a Dutch or European university. For non-EU citizens enrollment at a Dutch university is required.
• Experience in a chemical lab with the ability to work safely and securely.
• A good level of English is required.
• Type: MSc thesis, Internship project
• Location: Wetsus, Leeuwarden, Netherlands
• Duration: minimum 6 months- starting in September 2023- Later starting time is possible.
• You would be part of a big EU project (water mining project) with industrial partners where you have the chance to expand your network and improve your skills
Upload a motivation letter and CV to in the form below. For questions you can email Nouran Bahgat, firstname.lastname@example.org.