Do you want to know more about a new wastewater treatment technology? Are you interested to work on a new method to valorize sludge?
NEREDA® Technology is an innovative biological wastewater treatment process based on granular sludge. Currently, the process is optimized for phosphorus removal through anaerobic/aerobic alternation, but it is desired that wastewater treatment processes in the future recover that phosphorus.
NEREDA® waste sludge offers the opportunity for recovery of a new bio-based raw material extracted from the
extracellular polymeric substances with the commercial name of Kaumera NEREDA® Gum (Fig 2). Kaumera is a gel-forming polyelectrolyte that can be used in wide industrial applications. Combining phosphorus and Kaumera recovery is to be studied through this project.
• Perform Kaumera extractions from granular sludge on the lab scale
• Perform some tests related to phosphorus recovery (precipitation, high-value applications)
• Study phosphorus speciation using different analytical methods
• An MSc student with a background in biotechnology, analytical chemistry, and chemical or bioprocess engineering.
• A student highly motivated, enthusiastic, proactive, and willing to learn.
• Enrollment at a Dutch or European university. For non-EU citizens enrollment at a Dutch university is required.
• Experience in a chemical lab with the ability to work safely and securely.
• A good level of English is required.
• Type: MSc thesis, Internship project
• Location: Wetsus, Leeuwarden, Netherlands
• Duration: minimum 6 months- starting in November 2022- Later starting time is possible.
• Compensation: €200 or 400 per month, subject to a personal situation
• You would be part of a big EU project (water mining project) with industrial partners where you have the
chance to expand your network and improve your skills
Upload an motivation letter and CV to in the form below. For questions you can email Nouran Bahgat, firstname.lastname@example.org.