Saline wastewater streams can be found in different industries, i.e., fish processing, chemical, petroleum and leather. The organic pollutants from these streams could be treated using up-flow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactor. This anaerobic process could convert the organics into CH4 energy- and cost-effectively compared to the physical/chemical treatment. UASB reactor could operate at a high organic loading rate mainly due to the anaerobic granular sludge present in the system where a high biomass concentration can be achieved. Granular sludge is a spherical biofilm encapsulated with extracellular polymeric substance (EPS) excreted by microbes. EPS from other sources, such as aerobic wastewater treatment process, showed the potential to be used as a nature flocculant, coating material etc. The potential of the EPS from anaerobic granular sludge is yet to study. In this project, we aim
to start up UASB reactors and explore the resource recovery potential using anaerobic granular sludge.
What you can learn
• Comprehensive understanding of anaerobic digestion and UASB reactor;
• Hands on experience for reactors assemble, operation and monitor;
• Principles of sludge characterization and mass balance;
• Interaction and collaboration within a dynamic multidisciplinary and multinational research team.
• Specializing in bioprocess, biotechnology, environmental engineering or related fields;
• Preferably an EU citizen or an international MSc student actively enrolled in a Dutch university;
• An aptitude and interest for practical laboratory experience and analytical work;
• Fluent in English language (spoken, written and communication skills);
• Highly motivated, enthusiastic and independent thinker and doer who also like to work in a team.
Field: Bioprocess, Biotechnology, Environmental Engineering
Duration: 6 to 9 months
Starting Date: October 2022 with flexibility
Location: Wetsus, European Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Water Technology, Leeuwarden (The Netherlands)
Allowance: Cost allowance of €200 or 400 per month, subject to personal situation
How to apply
Interested students are invited to send a motivation letter (max. 1 page) and a CV (max. 2 pages) to Ruizhe Pei by filling in the application form below.