Theme coordinator Biofilms
After my PhD in Italy, I moved to the Netherlands as postdoc at the Laboratory of Microbiology of Wageningen University with the supervision of Caroline Plugge and Fons Stams. Then, I moved to Wetsus where my research focus on many aspects of microbiology in water technologies. Main methods are fluorescence and confocal microscopy to explore the structure and function of complex microbial communities.
PhD in Environmental Sciences at University La Tuscia (Viterbo, Italy) and IRSA CNR (Rome, Italy), 2014
Msc in Cellular Biology, Università La Sapienza of Rome (Italy), 2011
Bsc in Biology (Cellular and Molecular), Università degli Studi di Palermo (Italy), 2007
Microbiology, extracellular polymeric substance (EPS), fluorescence microscopy, anaerobic digestion, biofilm
- Gagliano, M.C., Sudmalis, D., Pei, R., Temmink, H., Plugge, C.M., 2020. Microbial Community Drivers in Anaerobic Granulation at High Salinity. Front. Microbiol. 11, 235
- Sudmalis, D., Mubita, T.M., Gagliano, M.C., Dinis, E., Zeeman, G., Rijnaarts, H.H.M., Temmink, H., 2020. Cation exchange membrane behaviour of extracellular polymeric substances (EPS) in salt adapted granular sludge. Water Res. 178.
- Gagliano, M.C., Neu, T.R., Kuhlicke, U., Sudmalis, D., Temmink, H., Plugge, C.M., 2018. EPS glycoconjugate profiles shift as adaptive response in anaerobic microbial granulation at high salinity. Front. Microbiol. 9.
- Gagliano, M.C., Braguglia, C.M., Gianico, a., Mininni, G., Nakamura, K., Rossetti, S., 2015. Thermophilic anaerobic digestion of thermal pretreated sludge: Role of microbial community structure and correlation with process performances. Water Res. 68, 498–509.
- Gagliano, M.C., Braguglia, C.M., Rossetti, S., 2014. In situ identification of the synthrophic protein fermentative Coprothermobacter spp. involved in the thermophilic anaerobic digestion process. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 358, 55–63.